Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tell Us a Bit About Yourself...

A new interview - many of the same questions but some new. I'm surprised she didn't tell them about her lemon tip!


The face of Lancome, Daria Werbowy, tells SYIDA LIZTA AMIRUL IHSAN what it means to be beautiful. Daria Werbowy, the face of Lancome perfume, skincare and make-up, sheds light on beauty and life as a model.

Q: What is beauty?
A: It's not just something physical. It is also about being energetic, charming and loving. I am very lucky (to have physical beauty), but I have flaws like everybody else. I think people must realise that they can learn to look beautiful. What changes the world is what you think and what you do with it. Beauty is a personal concept. Your personality, your intensity, your soul. It's about what's inside you.

Q: What are your secrets of seduction?
A: Eyes are the key in communicating with people. You see it in their eyes if they are sad, angry or happy. You see their souls. I think that women are naturally gifted with the art of seduction. It is body language. The more mysterious you are, the more seductive you become. I am an eye-contact person.

Q: What is elegance?
A: It's a combination of confidence and beauty. Something that is not obvious but subtle and graceful.

Q: Why did you sign up with Lancome?
A: I believe in what they do. I agree with their image of beauty. It has a realistic perception of women. I don't like superficial things and I feel Lancome doesn't promote stereotypes with its cosmetics. It addresses all women, I think, and well reflects my personality.

Q: What is your favourite Lancome product?
A: I like several products — its Hypnose perfume, Hydra Zen moisturiser, Juicy tubes and mascara.

Q: How did you begin your career?
A: I won a modelling contest at age 14 and signed up with IMG Models New York. Three years later, I was ready for my first season in 2001. It also happened to be Fashion Week in New York. I left the Big Apple to live in Paris and Milan for several months. It was hard. Everyone said I should be a model but nothing was happening despite my efforts. This difficult period of my life made me realise how one's appearance is paramount in the business, and how one needed to be strong in order to survive this trade. I returned to Canada in March 2002.

Q: What was your big break?
A: In January 2003 I wanted to work again to finance my art studies. I called IMG and returned to New York. Three days later, I did a Marc Jacobs fashion show and a week later, I worked with Steven Meisel for Prada. After this, things began to happen. I know this career will not last forever, so I appreciate every moment.

Q: What was it like working with Steven Meisel and other fashion photographers?
A: Working with Meisel is like going to a modelling school. He pushes you to try different things with your face, your eyes, your lips. You become very self-conscious and you use every part of your body like a tool. Helmut Newton was very provocative in the way he did things. Once, I found myself in a bathing suit eating lawn grass! Then there were Mario Testino, Mario Sorrenti and David Sims. They made me who I am today.

Q: How would you describe your personal style?
A: I love chic, comfy and cosmopolitan fashion, and experimenting with clothes to create allure.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?
A: I am addicted to sailing! Since I was a little girl, my family took me sailing on Lake Ontario. I also love snowboarding and basketball. Until last year, I taught rudimentary sailing to children from the ghettos two months a year. It was a gratifying experience. It was like teaching them to be free

No comments:

Post a Comment